Comcast outages continue even in areas with PG&E power restored

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Mon Oct 14 22:06:26 UTC 2019

On Fri, 11 Oct 2019, Ted Hatfield wrote:
> First of all DSL is not pots.

[....]

> DSL is a data service that runs on the subscriber loop at the same time as
> the voice service.  This service is not required to be battery backed and
> will invariably stop working when power is cut at the customer end point.

That is not why people are surprised.  When the house doesn't have power,
and doesn't have home generator or UPS, (most) people are less surprised
their DSL or Cable modem and VOIP doesn't work anymore.

The reasons I saw people angry on twitter was no Comcast service even when
they had power at the house (utility, generator, UPS). Their Comcast
service died quickly, even when the home had power but the Comcast outside
plant didn't seem to have any backup power.

DSL modems also need power at the home, but the telco providers seem to
have more backup power in the outside plant or central offices.  That
meant DSL worked as long as the house had power (or a home generator or
UPS).

I know, rich people problems.  Rich people can afford backup generators
and got upset when their Internet and TV didn't work.