Graphical databases ?

Simone Ricci simone at apuacom.it
Fri Oct 11 09:05:52 UTC 2019

Hello Craig,

although I think we’re slightly off topic here, please be aware that neo4j is not a graphical database (eg. it doesn’t aim to be gui-driven), but a *graph* one: this characteristic tells you about the paradigm the db engine uses to organize and indicize data; it’s just another flavour, the others being - for example - relational and document databases.

Operationally wise is quite hassle free, also has an integrated backup tool which does its job; being a java application it consumes a fair amount of ram just to run :-)…it uses lucene under the hood (just as elasticsearch does), so memory wise you should take dataset size into account and plan accordingly. Our dataset is very small so I can’t be very helpful on this matter. Runs nicely in docker and there’s also an official image.

I use it for outside plant documentation, for me does its job definitely better than an excel file, but it’s not so user friendly: the data visualization tool does its job but feels more a PoC than a mature application, and it’s read only…so for data entry you have to manually write queries. I’m looking to integrate it with a proper GIS solution in the future.

TL;DR: it’s fine if you want to use it as a database for your application, but it’s not a complete application by itself (even if the integrated data visualization tool does its job pretty well). Operationally wise is a piece of cake, also runs nicely in docker.

Regards
Simone