IPv6 Pain Experiment

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Tue Oct 8 19:01:43 UTC 2019

On Mon, Oct 7, 2019 at 11:59 PM Masataka Ohta <
mohta at necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp> wrote:
> William Herrin wrote:
> > If we're going to replace TCP and UDP, initiate
> > the link with a name (e.g. dns name),
>
> The point of TCP use IP address for identification is hosts
> can confirm IP address is true by 3 way handshaking.

Yeah, but that touches one of the central flaws of the design of IP, v4 and
v6. No part of identifying and authenticating communication should reside
at layer 3.
The IP address shouldn't identify anything. It should reflect only the
host's current position in the network. The address should be as
ephemerally attached to the endpoint as the layer 2 MAC address and as
quickly changeable. Without disrupting upper layer communication. It would
be a crying shame to replace the layer 4 protocols without doing something
about that flaw.

I actually came up with a solution to BGP scalability. If you abandon
stability of the layer 3 address, just throw it out the window, it turns
out to be relatively easy to build a routing protocol which constructs
ephemeral address hierarchies that represent the current state of
connections in the network even though the physical network itself is still
a general graph. The ephemeral hierarchies aggregate well reducing the
worldwide routing table to a few tens of thousands of routes.

> Only to replace well known port numbers by well known connection
> IDs and port scanning by connection ID scanning?

Easy to make this impractical. QUIC has.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William Herrin