IPv6 Pain Experiment

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Tue Oct 8 00:41:07 UTC 2019

On Mon, Oct 7, 2019 at 5:31 PM Masataka Ohta <
mohta at necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp> wrote:

> William Herrin wrote:
>
> > I was out to prove a point. I needed a technique that, at least in
> theory,
> > would start working as a result of software upgrades alone, needing no
> > configuration changes or other operator intervention.
>
> I think TCPng/UDPng with 32/48 bit port numbers combined with NAT/A+P,
> which is obviously fully operational with existing IPv4 backbone, is
> better.

Not a fan of port numbers.  If we're going to replace TCP and UDP, initiate
the link with a name (e.g. dns name), negotiate a connection ID and
continue with the connection ID.

No ports, no port scanning.

QUIC comes pretty close to getting it right.

-Bill

--
William Herrin
bill at herrin.us