HPE SAS Solid State Drives - Critical Firmware Upgrade Required

Stephen Cotton stephen at cotton.email
Wed Nov 27 00:02:16 UTC 2019

HP tends to run their own firmwares on their drives especially for their blade enclosures etc.

They have also had lots of bugs and vulns over the years. This isn’t the first. I know a lot of their spindle drives are hgst rebrands and their bugs don’t affect the manufacturers equivalent models.

I think a lot of the ssds are either intel or Samsung rebrands.

I’m glad I don’t have to manage them anymore I’ll say that. Having had debilitating firmware bug or two bite me in the past, once on the backup servers (commvault) dedup cache.

~Stephen Cotton