RIPE our of IPv4

Matt Palmer mpalmer at hezmatt.org
Tue Nov 26 23:47:44 UTC 2019

On Tue, Nov 26, 2019 at 05:26:44PM -0500, bzs at theworld.com wrote:
> If the commitment really was to spread IPv6 far and wide IPv6 blocks
> would be handed out for free, one per qualified customer (e.g., if you
> have an IPv4 allocation you get one IPv6 block free), or perhaps some
> trivial administrative fee like $10 per year.

It has been some time since I had to deal with RIRs directly, but my
understanding was that if you had an IPv4 allocation, you got a reasonably
sized chunk of IPv6 alongside for free.  Not even an extra $10/year.  FREE!

Looking at ARIN's fee schedule
(https://www.arin.net/resources/fees/fee_schedule/), it does seem like that
is still the case:

> For organizations holding both ARIN-issued IPv4 and IPv6 allocations, the
> fee is based on the larger of the two service categories.

So you only need to pay extra for your IPv6 numbers if you've got a lot more
of them than you've got IPv4.  The only situation in which I could imagine
that happening is if you were a (very) late-start eyeball network that had a
tiny IPv4 allocation (and a *lot* of CGNAT), but were planning on handing
out IPv6 /48s to every customer.

- Matt