RIPE our of IPv4

bzs at theworld.com bzs at theworld.com
Tue Nov 26 22:26:44 UTC 2019

If the commitment really was to spread IPv6 far and wide IPv6 blocks
would be handed out for free, one per qualified customer (e.g., if you
have an IPv4 allocation you get one IPv6 block free), or perhaps some
trivial administrative fee like $10 per year.

But the RIRs can't live on that.

We have put them under the management of a group of five organizations
which are very dependent on the income from block allocations and no
doubt were hoping IPv6 allocations would be a boon since there will be
very little if any income growth from future IPv4 block allocations.

Worse, once acquired an IPv6 block has so many billions of addresses
very few if any would ever need another allocation so it would hardly
act as a loss leader.

I realize many still would not deploy IPv6 for various reasons such as
their equipment doesn't support it or they don't have the in-house
expertise to support it, etc tho I can't think of much other etc, a
few points of resistance do come up.

--
        -Barry Shein