99% of HK internet traffic goes thru uni being fought over?

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Wed Nov 20 21:48:37 UTC 2019

> On Nov 20, 2019, at 4:41 PM, bzs at theworld.com wrote:
>
> Thanks everyone for the replies. My conclusion is that no one here
> knows whether HKIX handles 99% of internet traffic for HK or not.

No more than any other site.  Most IXPs may have a significant amount of traffic but it’s certainly not all of the traffic in a market.

Generally I’ve seen that private interconnects in major cities (like HK) are more than the public (IXP) interconnects.  Anyone claiming 99% of a market unless they’re the monopoly incumbent last-mile provider i treat with a properly sized piece of salt.

- Jared