Russian government’s disconnection test

Valdis Kl=?utf-8?Q?=c4=93?=tnieks valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu
Sat Nov 2 21:45:01 UTC 2019

On Sat, 02 Nov 2019 14:49:58 -0400, Christopher Morrow said:
> I think the disconnect idea is actually a good one... I don't know
> that I want to DO IT, but :) it certainly seems like a reasonable
> disaster recovery planning exercise :) (likely doing it is the only
> way to really suss out the problems though)

Some of us remember disconnecting the uplink when the Morris Worm
first started wandering around, and then wondering how we were going
to get news of the details so we could patch our boxen so it would be safe
to reconnect the cable to the router....

As more systems moved to secure update distribution schemes with only
allowing vendor-signed patches from https:// secured trusted sites, we may
find ourselves in a similar "don't dare be only, but have to be to fix the
problem" mess if a worm gets loose...

(Yes, you can probably ACL the router.  Not the sort of thing you want to be
doing at oh-dark-thirty if you don't know what ACL is safe to use and you are
cut off from a lot of info sources...)