Flexible OTN / fractional 100GbE

Brandon Martin lists.nanog at monmotha.net
Thu May 30 20:15:55 UTC 2019

On 05/30/2019 03:40, Jérôme Nicolle wrote:
> What I have in mind is actually to combine line-rate ODUs with a static
> mapping and pipe the uncommitted capacity to a packet-switch.
>
> Statically commited services will be muxponded in fastpath, hence no
> jitter and less latency, while the fractionnal ports use the remaining
> ports, mostly for low-priority IP traffic.
>
> Now I was assuming ODUFlex in CBR mode would allow fractionnal services
> without packet switching, but mapping an ethernet service to it would
> require some equivalent glue logic I guess, specifically for this case :

I see what you're getting at.  It sounds like you want to light up a
100Gb wave, put some committed "dedicated wavelength" services on it,
then take whatever's left and hand it off on 100GbE for
best-effort/general Internet traffic.

Not a bad idea.  I guess the idea would be to dynamically provision a
FlexODU or something for the remaining bandwidth and switch the Ethernet
traffic onto it encapsulated in GFP-F.  I see no reason why this isn't
possible, but I know of nothing that would do it.

So someone needs to make a box with a couple QSFP+ (breakout capable), a
couple SFP+, a QSFP28 UNI for the 40/100GbE with subrate commit, and a
QSFP28 NNI to speak OTU4 into the network that supports all that.

Let me know if you find it! :)

--
Brandon