Flexible OTN / fractional 100GbE

adamv0025 at netconsultings.com adamv0025 at netconsultings.com
Fri May 31 11:48:23 UTC 2019

There's got to be vendors out there having an optical chasses with a
combination of OTN and ethernet cards for the revenue side of the chasses
-look at transmode/Infinera maybe?

Otherwise I guess it doesn't matter whether the ethernet cards are part of
the optical chasses or a standalone PE on the stick.
If customer wants full OTN-step rate plug into optical chasses if customer
needs fractional rate plug into (Broadcom) PEs hanging off of the optical
switch.

On the "looking ahead" notion, is it really impossible to build low latency
packet-switched networks?
As you know selling full rate L1 circuits will render your core mostly empty
(...all that BW that could be monetized).

adam