Seeking Feedback on Mitigation of New BGP-driven Attack

Job Snijders job at ntt.net
Sat May 11 04:29:32 UTC 2019

Dear Jared,

This was a very interesting read. Thank you for sharing it with us. The
paper contained new information for me, if I hope I summarize it correctly:
by combining AS_PATH poisoning and botnets, the botnet’s firing power can
be more precisely aimed at a specific target.

Can you clarify what the definition of a “link” is? Is it the logical
interconnection between two ASNs (many pairs of ASNs interconnect in many
places), or is it a reference to a specific physical interconnection
between two routers, each in a different ASN?

The paper mentions that if the top 20 transit-free (“tier-1”) networks
protect each other against poisoning, the Maestro attack is drastically
reduced in effectiveness. I have good news, amongst this set of networks,
there already is a widely deployed anti poisoning mechanism, sometimes
referred to as “Peerlock”. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSLpWBrHy10 /
https://www.nanog.org/sites/default/files/Snijders_Everyday_Practical_Bgp.pdf
. I think this paper suggests the Peerlock practice should be promoted
more, and perhaps automated.

Kind regards,

Job