Seeking Feedback on Mitigation of New BGP-driven Attack

Dobbins, Roland Roland.Dobbins at netscout.com
Sat May 11 08:53:58 UTC 2019

On 11 May 2019, at 11:29, Job Snijders wrote:

> The paper contained new information for me, if I hope I summarize it
> correctly: by combining AS_PATH poisoning and botnets, the botnet’s
> firing power can be more precisely aimed at a specific target.

That's my takeaway; it's utilizing illicit traffic engineering
mechanisms to explicitly steer DDoS traffic, and peer-locking would
frustrate this goal.

The authors of the paper should be aware that in large volumetric
attacks, the natural topological convergence of attack traffic as it
progresses towards the intended target can fill up peering links, core
links, et. al., greatly increasing the collateral damage of such attacks
as bystander traffic traversing those links is crowded out.

We've seen this happen many times over the last couple of decades, it
isn't new or rare or unique as the paper seems to imply (apologies if
that is not what the authors intended to convey).  It's such a common
aspect of DDoS attacks that overloading 'LFA' to try and invent an
acronym for it (in network engineering terminology, 'LFA' = 'loop-free
alternate'; see RFCs 5286 & 8518) isn't really necessary or helpful;
it's actually confusing.

Sometimes attackers consciously choose this as a tactic, sometimes they
just hurl as much traffic as they can at the target and don't really
care about the details, as long as it works — which all too often is
the case when the defenders aren't adequately prepared.

Quantity has a quality all its own. DDoS attacks are attacks against
capacity and/or state; in this very common scenario, link capacity is
adversely affected.

The authors of the paper should also understand that commercial DDoS
mitigation centers are not necessarily topologically adjacent to the
properties being protected, as they seem to be asserting in the paper
(again, apologies if this interpretation is incorrect); this is true in
some models, but in other models they are topologically distant,
sometimes being one or more ASNs away from said protected properties.

We've observed what appeared to be the deliberate use of relatively
topologically-adjacent bots and/or reflectors/amplifiers on a couple of
occasions. We speculate that the attackers in those instances were
attempting to maximize the amount of traffic-on-target; seeking to avoid
detection/classification/traceback by avoiding crossing instrumented
macro-level administrative boundaries (i.e., peering edges, the
incorrect assumption on the part of the attacker being that all
operators only instrument said peering edges); and/or to complicate
diversion into peering edge- or topologically-distant DDoS mitigation
centers.  To date, we've not encountered illicit traffic engineering
utilized during an attack, as described in the paper.

While it's recently become trendy in the confidentiality and integrity
arenas to give various exploits somewhat abstract names, this sort of
thing isn't really helpful in the availability space, where the specific
mechanisms and techniques employed matter a great deal to operators
working in real time to defend against DDoS attacks.  Rather than
calling this a 'Maestro' attack, which carries no useful intrinsic
meaning, perhaps an appellation such as 'topological forcing' or
'traffic steering' would be more appropriate.  As in, 'a
topologically-forced volumetric DDoS attack' or 'a traffic-steered
volumetric DDoS attack'.

n.b. — neological acronyms such as as TFVDDoS or TSVDDoS should be
avoided, as this further unhelpfully fragments the terminology space.