NTP Question

Mel Beckman mel at beckman.org
Wed May 1 23:28:53 UTC 2019

Harlan and Mehmet,

I can expand on one important reason that James only alluded to with his “Kepping the Auditors happy” comment.

Passing NTP through a firewall and then using that as a critical time reference source represents a huge security risk. Here’s one detailed explanation of that risk:

https://insights.sei.cmu.edu/sei_blog/2017/04/best-practices-for-ntp-services.html

 -mel