NTP Question

James R Cutler james.cutler at consultant.com
Wed May 1 22:47:52 UTC 2019

On Wed, May 01, 2019 at 02:35:58PM -0700, Harlan Stenn wrote:
> - Why do folks want to have one or more NTP server masters that have at
> least 1 refclock on them in a data center, instead of having their data
> center NTP server masters that only get time over the internet?

Answers to that include:
Keeping the Auditors happy
Knowing that “everyone does it” - the vendor told them so
Bragging rights (expensive hardware)
Being unbothered by fighting with facilities for building penetrations and antenna mounts
Misunderstanding the beauty and economy Dave Mills marvelous algorithms for consistent time based on multiple sources, even those connected via internet
Unwillingness or inability to leverage other local resources capacity to run ntpd with minimal impact in order to have a good constellation of local NTP servers
Willingness to farm out time service without doing a deep dive into why and how, just leaving the design to the appliance vendors
This covers most of what I have encountered in providing enterprise time services for $dayjob+clients. I probably left out some significant points, but it has been a few years...