Contacts wanted: OVH, DigitalOcean, and Microsoft (Deutschland)

Rich Kulawiec rsk at gsp.org
Wed Mar 20 13:00:17 UTC 2019

On Tue, Mar 19, 2019 at 09:17:23AM -0700, Eric Kuhnke wrote:
> Absolutely unrelated to Ronald's original post, but it's ironic that the
> abuse@ address is itself heavily "abused", by commercial copyright
> enforcement companies which think it's a catch-all address for things which
> are not operationally related to the health of a network [snip]

I've seen this movie and have implemented various mitigation approaches
to it -- none of which constitute a "solution" but all of which help.

1. Block the addresses originating this traffic.  There's no need for
staff/processes on the receiving end to put up with spam.  (If it's UBE,
then it's spam -- by definition.  The content and intention are irrelevant.)

2. Use procmail to redirect it where it needs to go.

3. Set up (non-public) Mailman-operated mailing lists for each role
account and use the moderation queue on those as a throttling tool.
(This works best in conjunction with (2).  Let procmail do some of
the heavy/straightforward lifting and sort the rest out later.)
This also makes it easy to archive everything by subscribing an
address that's an append-only mailbox.

4. Funnel the output of (2) and/or (3) into one of the many ticketing
systems with priority assigned based on the characteristics of the
senders as observed over time.

---rsk