few big monolithic PEs vs many small PEs

adamv0025 at netconsultings.com adamv0025 at netconsultings.com
Fri Jun 21 07:10:17 UTC 2019

Hey Saku,

Yup I agree,
Just on the human cockups though, we're putting more and more automation in to help address the problem of human imperfections.
But automation can actually go both ways, some say it helps with the small day to day problems but occasionally creates a massive one.
So considering the B1 & B2 correlation if operations on these are automated then, depending on how the automation system is designed/operated, one might not get the chance to reflect/assess on B1 before B2 is touched -so this might further complicate the equation for the aggregate system downtime computation.

> > Yes it will cost a bit more (router is more expensive than a LC)
>
> Several of my employees have paid only for LC. I don't think the CAPEX
> difference is meaningful, but operating two separate devices may have
> significant OPEX implications in electricity, rack space, provisioning,
> maintenance etc.
>
> > And yes there is the "node-slicing" approach from Juniper where one
> > can offload CP onto multiple x86 servers and assign LCs to each server
> > (virtual
> > node) - which would solve my chassis full problem -but honestly how
> > many of you are running such setup? Exactly. And that's why I'd be
> > hesitant to deploy this solution in production just yet. I don't know
> > of any other vendor solution like this one, but who knows maybe in 5
> > years this is going to be the new standard. Anyways I need a
> > solution/strategy for the next 3-5 years.
>
> Node slicing indeed seems like it can be sufficient compromise here between
> OPEX and availability. I believe (not know) that the shared software risks are
> meaningfully reduced and that bringing down whole system is sufficiently
> rare to allow availability upside compared to single large box.

I tend to agree, though as you say it's a compromise nevertheless.
If one needs to switch to a new version of fabric in order to support new line-cards or upgrade code on the base system for that matter - the whole thing (NFVI) needs to be power-cycled.

adam