44/8

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Jul 23 01:09:42 UTC 2019

> On Jul 22, 2019, at 12:15 , Naslund, Steve <SNaslund at medline.com> wrote:
>
> I think the Class E block has been covered before.  There were two reasons to not re-allocate it.
>
> 1.      A lot of existing code base does not know how to handle those addresses and may refuse to route them or will otherwise mishandle them.
> 2.      It was decided that squeezing every bit of space out of the v4 allocations only served to delay the desired v6 deployment.

Close, but there is a subtle error…

	2.	It was decided that the effort to modify each and every IP stack in order to facilitate use of this relatively small block (16 /8s being evaluated against a global
		run rate at the time of roughly 2.5 /8s per month, mostly to RIPE and APNIC) vs. putting that same effort into modifying each and every IP stack to support
		IPv6 was an equation of very small benefit for slightly smaller cost. (Less than 8 additional months of IPv4 free pool vs. hopefully making IPv6 deployable
		before IPv4 ran out).

Owen