240/4 (Re: 44/8)

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Tue Jul 23 03:14:52 UTC 2019

On Mon, 22 Jul 2019, Owen DeLong wrote:

> 	2.	It was decided that the effort to modify each and every IP stack in order to facilitate use of this relatively small block (16 /8s being evaluated against a global
> 		run rate at the time of roughly 2.5 /8s per month, mostly to RIPE and APNIC) vs. putting that same effort into modifying each and every IP stack to support
> 		IPv6 was an equation of very small benefit for slightly smaller cost. (Less than 8 additional months of IPv4 free pool vs. hopefully making IPv6 deployable
> 		before IPv4 ran out).

Well, people are working on making 240/4 usable in IP stacks:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/dtaht/unicast-extensions/master/rfcs/draft-gilmore-taht-v4uniext.txt

There have been patches accepted into some BSDs and into Linux
tools/kernel and other operating systems to make 240/4 configurable and
working as unicast space.

I don't expect it to show up in DFZ anytime soon, but some people have
dilligently been working on removing any obstacles to using 240/4 in most
common operating systems.

For controlled environments, it's probably deployable today with some
caveats. I think it'd be fine as a compliment to RFC1918 space for some
internal networks.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se