44/8

Matt Harris matt at netfire.net
Mon Jul 22 20:40:42 UTC 2019

On Mon, Jul 22, 2019 at 2:47 PM John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:

> In which case, I’d recommend contacting Hank Magnuski to obtain
> documentation of your particular interpretation, as there are no published
> policy documents which indicate anything other than an allocation from the
> general purpose IPv4 space for an "amateur packet radio" research network
> (and in particular nothing that would indicate that stewardship over the
> allocation should rest with any party other than the assigned contact for
> the block.)

I would point out here that "stewardship" and "ownership" are two very
different things. "Stewardship" refers to the day to day care and feeding
of something and generally does not confer the right to dispose of that
thing. An example might be amateur radio spectrum. The ARRL is given some
degree of stewardship over our spectrum here in the US, which is a
community resource issued by the powers that be (globally the ITU, and in
the case of the US specifically, the FCC) for those who take the time to
get licensed. They can set limitations on its use, but they cannot sell it
to Verizon. Thus, the ARRL is a steward of our amateur spectrum, which is
not "owned" by any entity but rather is held in trust as a community
resource by the FCC which allows for stewardship of that resource by the
ARRL.

Ownership would, of course, infer the right to dispose of that thing,
including by selling it in whole or in part to a third party.