44/8

Tom Beecher beecher at beecher.cc
Mon Jul 22 20:06:13 UTC 2019

So wall of text, but here is the RFC chain.

Hank Magnuski was the original person marked as the 'reference', which is
interpreted as 'responsible individual' in these documents.  This changed
in 1987, when Philip R. Karn was now reflected in that field.

The last RFC I can find that explicitly calls out 44.0.0.0/8 was 1166 ,
July 1990, again with Phil Karn as the reference, or responsible
individual.

==========

Original assignment of 44 in RFC 790 : Sept 1981

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc790

044.rrr.rrr.rrr   AMPRNET       Amature Radio Experiment Net  [HM]
044.rrr.rrr.rrr-126.rrr.rrr.rrr Unassigned                   [JBP]

[HM]      Hank Magnuski       ---       JOSE at PARC-MAXC

==========

Ambiguity corrected in RFC 820:

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc820

R 044.rrr.rrr.rrr   AMPRNET       Amateur Radio Experiment Net[HM]
R 045.rrr.rrr.rrr T C3-PR         Testbed Development PRNET  [BG5]

[HM]      Hank Magnuski       ---       JOSE at PARC-MAXC

==========

Maintains references to "Amateur Radio Experiment Net" through multiple
RFCs:

870
900
923
943
960
990
997

==========

Reference field changes from [HM] to [PK28] in RFC 1020 : Nov 1987
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1020

[PK28]    Philip R. Karn, Jr. BCR       Karn at FLASH.BELLCORE.COM

==========

"Amateur Radio Experiment Net" disappears, only AMPRNET listed in RFC 1166 :

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1166

R*43.rrr.rrr.rrr                     JAPAN-A           [JM292]
R 44.rrr.rrr.rrr                     AMPRNET           [PK28]
 45.rrr.rrr.rrr                     Reserved          [NIC]

RFC 1166 Updated by RFC 5737, creation of documentation blocks. No
references to 44/8.

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5737