SHAKEN/STIR Robocall Summit - July 11 2019 at FCC

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Mon Jul 15 19:07:12 UTC 2019

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Christopher Morrow" <morrowc.lists at gmail.com>

> On Thu, Jul 11, 2019 at 12:00 PM Paul Timmins <paul at telcodata.us> wrote:
>>
>> Chris it would be trivial for this to be fixed, nearly overnight, by
>> creating some liability on the part of carriers for illicit use of
>> caller ID data on behalf of their customers.
>
> 'illicit use of caller id' - how is caller-id being illicitly used though?
> I don't think it's against the law to say a different 'callerid' in the call
> session, practically every actual call center does this, right?

I can speak to that, having originated calls from a call center.

Yes, of course we sent out calls with "spoofed" CNID.

But, even though only 2 or 3 or our 5 carriers* held *our* feet to the fire,
we held the clients' feet to the fire, requiring them to prove to our
satisfaction that they had adminstrative control over the numbers in question.

But it's the carrier's responsibility, properly, to do that work.

[ It was, IIRC, Verizon, Qwest and maybe Sprint that forced the issue with us;
at least two carriers did not.  No longer recalll which ones. ]

Cheers,
-- jra