SHAKEN/STIR Robocall Summit - July 11 2019 at FCC

Paul Timmins paul at telcodata.us
Thu Jul 11 20:23:19 UTC 2019

Not really. For reasons already cited by Keith Medcalf in an offshoot of
the thread, and because the real world implication of that liability
transfer would be telecom carriers undertaking risk management and
looking at their products and pricing and deciding whether certain
customers should be allowed to send arbitrary caller ID. What would
likely happen is that small customers would be allowed to send whatever,
like today. Call center customers (they are already identifying these
because most big carriers have different rates for callcenter activity
because of the network load it puts on them) would likely be restricted
to a subset of numbers, and the biggest, long term call centers would
probably be allowed to send whatever they want, but with a contract that
compels them to indemnify the carrier against loss (which would only
work if the call center was well capitalized enough to make that
commitment, because the carrier would NOT want to be stuck with the bill
if they couldn't pay up).

It may sound burdensome, but speaking as an employee of a carrier who is
in a position to see how things work on the business AND technical side
(who I do not speak for, in this context) - we're already looking at
what our customer's intended use is, and whether they're asking for a
product they can reasonably afford, we run their business credit and if
they aren't clean enough, we request prepayment for our services, or
similar.

This would just be one more risk we'd take into account.

-Paul