SHAKEN/STIR Robocall Summit - July 11 2019 at FCC

Paul Timmins paul at telcodata.us
Thu Jul 11 18:59:37 UTC 2019

Pretty simply - Sending caller ID to commit fraud. It's literally
already illegal. The legislature has already defined it for us, even.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/47/227

(B)
to initiate any telephone call to any residential telephone line using
an artificial or prerecorded voice to deliver a message without the
prior express consent of the called party, unless the call is initiated
for emergency purposes, is made solely pursuant to the collection of a
debt owed to or guaranteed by the United States
<https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/47/227>, or is exempted by rule
or order by theCommission
<https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/47/227>under paragraph (2)(B);

(e)(1)In general

It shall be unlawful for any person
<https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/47/227> within the United
States <https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/47/227>, in connection
with any telecommunications service
<https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/47/227> orIP-enabled voice
service, <https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/47/227> to cause
anycaller identification service
<https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/47/227>to knowingly transmit
misleading or inaccuratecaller identification information
<https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/47/227>with the intent to
defraud, cause harm, or wrongfully obtain anything of value, unless such
transmission is exempted pursuant to paragraph (3)(B).

All I'm asking is to make the carrier liable if it should have been
obvious to a carrier using basic traffic analysis that the service was a
robocaller (low answer rates combined with tons of source numbers,
especially situations where the source and destination number share the
first 6 digits) that the carrier be liable for failing to look into it.

Carriers already look at things like short duration in order to assess
higher charges, and already investigate call center traffic. If they
then look at the caller ID and it looks "suspect", and the customer then
is contacted and barred from sending arbitrary caller ID until they can
verify they own the numbers they're calling from, then they're good to go.

If the carrier continues to just ensure that call center traffic is a
revenue stream they can bill higher without making sure they're
outpulsing valid numbers, then they should absorb the social costs of
what's going on.

Let's not get this confused - this isn't about customer PBXen outpulsing
forwarded calls when they do it, it's about people shooting millions of
calls a month, the carrier hitting them with short duration charges,
making more money, and having zero incentive to question the arrangement.

-Paul