SHAKEN/STIR Robocall Summit - July 11 2019 at FCC

Michael Thomas mike at mtcc.com
Thu Jul 11 19:14:26 UTC 2019

On 7/11/19 12:03 PM, Christopher Morrow wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 11, 2019 at 2:35 PM Michael Thomas <mike at mtcc.com> wrote:
>> So I have a meta-question about all of this. Why in 2019 are we still
>> using telephone numbers as the primary identifier? It's a pretty sip-py
>> world these days, even on mobile phones with wifi calling, I assume. It
>> seems like this problem would be more tractable if callerid was a last
>> resort rather than a first resort.
> yes! I bet that if you provided some form of 'identity' to the caller
> and permitted the callee to verify that data upon call setup... you'd
> get further along.
> there could  even be an ecosystem of services which callees could
> subscribe to in order to report reputation and have that be used to
> influence call completions over time...
>
> if only there were such systems in existence already... if only some
> form of proof of concept existed?

15 years ago when I was working on DKIM, I added DKIM signatures to SIP
messages for shits and giggles. It really wouldn't be that hard to
extend DKIM for SIP. Same goes for SPF. Same goes, I assume, for DMARC.
We pretty much know how to identify email providers, and the providers
can pretty well identify individual accounts. Same goes for SIP, it
seems to me.

I assume interprovider these days is all IP for the most part. I would
think that the only remaining vestiges of the PSTN is the last mile
where landlines are going extinct, and most mobile minutes are done over
wifi/IP.

Mike