Time and Timing Servers

James R Cutler james.cutler at consultant.com
Thu Jul 11 18:25:18 UTC 2019

> On Jul 11, 2019, at 11:23 AM, Mike Hammett <nanog at ics-il.net> wrote:
>
> I'll look into Meinberg.
>
> I recent thread mentioned high-sensitivity receivers often allow GPS to work inside. Obviously "inside" has a lot of definitions.
>
> I will need this facility for the TDM timing signals. It's a central office, not a datacenter.
>
> I don't know that Internet-based NTP would be accurate enough for the timing signals that I need. Maybe, maybe not.

My experience with Dave Mills NTP algorithm is that, giving sufficient diversity in higher stratum sources, GPS versus Internet sources makes no practical difference. This assumes that you are concerned with Time for event logging and scheduling and not concerned with frequency and phase for clocking data on TDM instances.

If you are worrying about backhoe fade — it’s consequences will most likely affect other things more strongly than Time differences.

James R. Cutler
James.cutler at consultant.com
GPG keys: hkps://hkps.pool.sks-keyservers.net