SHAKEN/STIR Robocall Summit - July 11 2019 at FCC

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Mon Jul 8 20:59:58 UTC 2019

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Sean Donelan" <sean at donelan.com>

> I don't think SHAKEN/STIR really addresses the root problems with
> spoofing phone numbers, anymore than any of the BGP proposals for spoofing
> IP addresses.
>
> Nevertheless, the FCC wants to be seen as doing something.  So Chairman
> Pai is having a summit to show all the progress.
>
> On Thursday, July 11, 2019, FCC Chairman Ajit Pai will convene a summit
> focused on the industry’s implementation of SHAKEN/STIR, a caller ID
> authentication framework to combat illegal robocalls and caller ID
> spoofing.  Chairman Pai expects major voice service providers to deploy
> the SHAKEN/STIR framework this year.   The summit will showcase the
> progress that major providers have made toward reaching that goal and
> provide an opportunity to identify any challenges to implementation and
> how best to overcome them.

Well, y'know, it's been 10 years since I originated calls to LD carriers.

But when I did, 3 of my carriers (VZN and 2 LDs) trapped outgoing calls
that weren't for 10D calling numbers *they had assigned us* (and hence I
had to work that out with them to prove that *someone* had)...

nd the other 2 didn't give a crap.  I could send them anything -- even calls
with CNID that wasn't a valid NANP address (4th digit 1, frex).

Since nearly all of this is being originated over PRIs to LD carriers, right;
maybe if the FCC just threatened the LD carriers who do not do the calling
number legitimacy enforcement the regs (I think) already require them to do...?

Cheers,
-- jra