DNS Flag Day, Friday, Feb 1st, 2019

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Thu Jan 31 02:07:58 UTC 2019

This basically affects sites using really old Windows DNS servers (Microsoft decided to make them only respond once with FORMERR so if that message is lost they appear to be dead until the timer clears) and those using firewalls that block EDNS queries.  If you use such firewalls they are really doing nothing useful.

Most of the other errors reported are benign as far as DNS flag day is concerned.

Also apart from the public DNS resolvers people need to install updated software that has the work arounds removed.

Mark
--
Mark Andrews