the e-mail of the future is the e-mail oft the past, was Enough port 26 talk...

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Tue Jan 15 19:52:06 UTC 2019

On 01/15/2019 10:46 AM, Tei wrote:
> I think the newsgroups died because was expensive for ISPs and filled
> with nasty stuff (warez and porn).

I believe newsgroups are still very much so alive and quite active.  I
see 15k ~ 20k messages / 50 ~ 75 MB of /text/ newsgroups daily on my
server.  My ~15 (I don't remember the exact number and can't be bothered
to loo) peers will likely agree with me.

I see content on Usenet that is not available elsewhere.

There's also the binary news servers that are used to trade warz and
pr0n and other untold things.

> Gopher died because HTML was a improvement in every possible way.

I still see references to people using Gopher multiple times a year.

> IRC still exist,

Yep.  I use it daily.

> because it don't need to be hosted by a ISP.

I don't think an ISP is required to host any of the things being
discussed in this email.

> Forums still exist.

Yep.

Some of them even gateway into other communication mediums.

> Mail list still exist (we are on one) Homesites where replaced by blogs.

Based on what I /personally/ see, mailing lists and usenet are roughly
comparable.

> Gmail?

Meh.

> G Suite accounts are expensive.  I believe you have to pay by email
> address and get quite pricey.  "Free" alternatives have a place because
> can be cheaper than that.
>
> Gmail have not added the "Foo has read your message" or "Foo is replying
> to your email". Two things that would be easy for them to do in Gmail
> to Gmail communication, and would be must-have features for a mail user.
> So maybe they don't aim to world domination?

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.  <monotone>Email is not
instant messaging.</monotone>

> Is very hard to replace a open protocol,  wrapping may work if the
> protocol is mostly abandoned (IRC) but thats not the case for email.
> I don't think email is going to be replaced soon.

There are people who say it yearly.  But I never believe them.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die