the e-mail of the future is the e-mail oft the past, was Enough port 26 talk...

Miles Fidelman mfidelman at meetinghouse.net
Mon Jan 14 21:38:45 UTC 2019

On 1/14/19 1:49 PM, John R. Levine wrote:
>> And you won't really have a choice because unless you're willing to go
>> full Ted Kaczynski one in a hundred of those emails will be very, very
>> important to you ...
>
> Yeah.  E-mail remains the only scheme where the two parties don't have
> to be introduced first, don't have to be online at the same time, and
> you can check for it in one place (if you want to, or you can sort and
> file to your heart's content.)
>
> I've stopped being surprised that enthusiasts who tell me that the IM
> or online conferencing silver bullet du jour will kill e-mail never
> understand this.

Tell me about it.

Originally, the Internet was built specifically to foster collaboration
- open, interoperable protocols that work just fine across
organizational boundaries.

Ever since the net went commercial, we've been seeing more and more
walled gardens - driven by folks with an economic advantage to
segmenting & capturing audiences.  Whenever someone talks about how
great some new technology is, I'm always reminded to "follow the
money."  (And ain't it ironic that Microsoft supports calendaring
protocols, while Google breaks them.)

In practice, there is.  .... Yogi Berra