yet another round of SMTP Over TLS on Port 26 - Implicit TLS Proposal [Feedback Request]

Viruthagiri Thirumavalavan giri at dombox.org
Sat Jan 12 23:07:40 UTC 2019

> Go and check how many of these match. Then ask yourself why you might
> be getting a poor reception on lists composed of people who do this stuff
> for a living.

Hello Mr. Kletnieks,

I have no problem when people criticising my work. I even dropped the idea
of port 26 because people like you showed me why it's bad.

As for port 25 downgrade proposal, I'm happy to walk away if it is really
flawed. But I can't walk away when biased people attack me to protect their
interests. Remember, I posted in ietf-smtp to put a disclaimer when there
is a "conflict of interest" when responding to my messages? I was talking
about John and DANE author after seeing their messages in my uta thread.

No matter how much time you might have spent, repeating a bad idea over
> and over and over again will not turn it into a good idea.

If you are biased, how can I know it's a bad idea. Are you gonna say you
are not biased when criticising my work? I just proved you are biased.

The people on the IETF lists, particularly Ned Freed, and John Klensin,
> know more about mail than anyone in the world.  If they don't like your
> idea, you should pay attention.

I interacted with Mr. Klensin in the ietf-smtp forum. More than knowing
things, he seem like a man who respect others work.

This is what he said

Especially if you are new, please interpret my response (and
> those of several others) as "we aren't convinced about your
> idea" or "we think there are better alternatives", not as "your
> proposal is bad and will cause problems".   I'd like to see a
> lot more discussion before the latter conclusion is reached
> although I'd encourage you to read the comments carefully and
> see if they suggest ways to improve the proposal.  I believe
> that it is very important that new ideas to which long-time
> participants have initial negative reasons get careful
> consideration and every reasonable chance to succeed before they
> are dismissed.

I have improved my solution based on feedback I received. I dropped my port
26 proposal and concentrating only on port 25.

How can I get feedback from others, if you are gonna post anti-messages
about my work?