Last Mile Design

Baldur Norddahl baldur.norddahl at gmail.com
Sat Feb 9 20:13:17 UTC 2019

GPON is 2.4 Gbps downstream and 1.2 Gbps upstream. Residential users are
download heavy and more than 1:2. However there is a big difference between
average, peak and micro burst. The conclusion is not simple.

We typically have 60+ users on each port. We sell 1000/1000 internet. And
yet we only get good ratings for the speed.

I find that many, that are sceptical about the shared bandwidth of GPON,
forget that a typical POP might only be fed by a 10 Gbps uplink. Usually
this has much lower bandwidth per user than the GPON link.

Regards

Baldur