BGP/dDos gift from NIST

Royce Williams royce at techsolvency.com
Wed Dec 25 18:33:12 UTC 2019

On Wed, Dec 25, 2019 at 1:15 AM william manning <chinese.apricot at gmail.com>
wrote:

> https://nvlpubs.nist.gov/nistpubs/SpecialPublications/NIST.SP.800-189.pdf

I can't speak to the technical content, but this put a curdle in my morning
coffee:

"... that comprise the internet [sic]" .

Et tu, NIST?

I will die on this  "capital "I" in *the* Internet" hill. ;)

(And no, I don't care what the AP Stylebook decided to pull out of thin
air, with no understanding of how the Internet works or what it means; the
argument that "there are many possible internets" is specious, because
that's not what "the Internet" means; to the extent that various other
"internets" get balkanized out of the Internet, to the extent that they
interconnect, *that* will always and forever be "the Internet".)

What's next - geology textbooks calling our single, unique planet "the
earth" ? (Which brings to mind a great illustration of why "the Internet"
matters: if, by some happenstance of etymology, we referred to our planet
solely as "the Planet", then there could be many other planets, but only
one Planet.)

(And regardless of what you call it ... thanks to each of you for operating
your piece of it!)

Royce