Elephant in the room - Akamai

Chris Adams cma at cmadams.net
Sun Dec 8 18:20:39 UTC 2019

Once upon a time, Brandon Martin <lists.nanog at monmotha.net> said:
> I guess what I'm getting at is that it sounds like, if you cannot
> source the content locally to the peering link, there's not likely
> to be an internal connection to the same site from somewhere else
> within the Akamai network to deliver that content and, instead, the
> target network should expect it to come in over the "public
> Internet" via some other connection.  Is that accurate?

I believe this is true of multiple content networks.  For example, we
peer with Amazon in a couple of locations, but a significant amount of
traffic frmo their AS comes across transit rather than peering.

In old terms, this is "hot potato" routing - where the source gets the
traffic out of their network as soon as possible, rather than spend
internal resources to carry it as close to the destination as they can.
--
Chris Adams <cma at cmadams.net>