MAP-E

Lee Howard lee.howard at retevia.net
Thu Aug 8 20:15:01 UTC 2019

On 8/2/19 1:10 PM, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ via NANOG wrote:

> The cost of sharing IPs in a static way, is that services such as Sony
> Playstation Network will put those addresses in the black list, so you
> need to buy more addresses. This hasn’t been the case for
> 464XLAT/NAT64, which shares the addresses dynamically.
>
> Furthermore, if some users need less ports than others, you
> “infra-utilize” those addresses, which again is not the case for
> 464XLAT/NAT64. Each user gets automatically as many ports as he needs
> at every moment.
>
> So, you save money in terms of addresses, that you can invest in a
> couple of servers running a redundant NAT64 setup
> (https://www.jool.mx/en/session-synchronization.html). Those servers
> can be actually VMs, so you don’t need dedicated hardware, especially
> because when you deploy IPv6 with 464XLAT, typically 75% (and going
> up) of you traffic will be IPv6 and only 25% will go thru the NAT64.

You work on much smaller networks than I do if a "couple of servers
running Jool" can handle your load.  Jool is great, and the team that
built it is great, but a couple of 10Gbps NICs on a pizza box doesn't go
very far. I've tried 100Gbps and can't get the throughput with any
normal CPU. Hoping to get back to it and run some actual measurements.

Lee