MAP-E

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Thu Aug 8 21:24:53 UTC 2019

Hi Lee,

I recall the original sender of this post indicated a small number of users, that’s why I responded that.

Regards,

Jordi

@jordipalet

El 8/8/19 22:17, "NANOG en nombre de Lee Howard" <nanog-bounces at nanog.org en nombre de lee.howard at retevia.net> escribió:

On 8/2/19 1:10 PM, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ via NANOG wrote:

The cost of sharing IPs in a static way, is that services such as Sony Playstation Network will put those addresses in the black list, so you need to buy more addresses. This hasn’t been the case for 464XLAT/NAT64, which shares the addresses dynamically.

Furthermore, if some users need less ports than others, you “infra-utilize” those addresses, which again is not the case for 464XLAT/NAT64. Each user gets automatically as many ports as he needs at every moment.

So, you save money in terms of addresses, that you can invest in a couple of servers running a redundant NAT64 setup (https://www.jool.mx/en/session-synchronization.html). Those servers can be actually VMs, so you don’t need dedicated hardware, especially because when you deploy IPv6 with 464XLAT, typically 75% (and going up) of you traffic will be IPv6 and only 25% will go thru the NAT64.

You work on much smaller networks than I do if a "couple of servers running Jool" can handle your load.  Jool is great, and the team that built it is great, but a couple of 10Gbps NICs on a pizza box doesn't go very far. I've tried 100Gbps and can't get the throughput with any normal CPU. Hoping to get back to it and run some actual measurements.

Lee

Regards,

Jordi

@jordipalet