Sflow billing or usage calculation software

Peter Phaal peter.phaal at gmail.com
Wed Apr 17 17:11:19 UTC 2019

On Tue, Apr 16, 2019 at 8:35 PM Deepak Jain <deepak at ai.net> wrote:

> Now I know I'm pushing my luck... but do certain vendors more fully
> embrace sFlow than others? maybe one of the whitebox vendors if not one
> of the majors?
>
> Hacking support into something isn't the worse thing in the world, but
> if there is any experience on this to leverage off of, that is helpful.

Unfortunately, there isn't a publicly available list showing how well or
completely vendors have implemented the sFlow specifications:
https://sflow.org/developers/specifications.php

I have been working on an sFlow test suite to try and address this problem:
https://blog.sflow.com/2015/11/sflow-test.html

The source code for the tests is on GitHub:
https://github.com/sflow-rt/sflow-test

The easiest way to run the software is using Docker:
https://hub.docker.com/r/sflow/sflow-test

The goal is to compile a list of equipment and network operating systems
that pass the tests and publish the results on sFlow.org. Failed tests can
be passed to vendors to help them improve their implementations. In
addition to identifying feature support, there are also stress tests to
ensure accurate results under production workloads (rapid detection of DDoS
etc).

Involvement of operators would be great. If there are tests that are
missing from the suite, please submit an enhancement request, or even
better, a pull request, on GitHub. If you have a test lab and can run the
tests on your own hardware, please share the results.

The open source Host sFlow agent, https://sflow.net/, has been ported to a
number of white box network operating systems and provides an opportunity
for the community to extend sFlow functionality and address issues in the
white box ecosystem. Operator involvement in this project would be most
welcome.

Peter