modeling residential subscriber bandwidth demand

Darin Steffl darin.steffl at mnwifi.com
Wed Apr 3 12:41:16 UTC 2019

Paul,

I have hard time seeing how you aren't maxing out that circuit. We see
about 2.3 mbps average per customer at peak with a primarily residential
user base. That would about 575 mbps average at peak for 250 users on our
network so how do we use 575 but you say your users don't even top 100 mbps
at peak? It doesn't make sense that our customers use 6 times as much
bandwidth at peak than yours do.

We're a rural and small town mix in Minnesota, no urban areas in our
coverage. 90% of our customers are on a plan 22 mbps or less and the other
10% are on a 100 mbps plan but their average usage isn't really much higher.

Enterprise environments can easily handle many more users on a 100 meg
circuit because they aren't typically streaming video like they would be at
home. Residential will always be much higher usage per person than most
enterprise users.