modeling residential subscriber bandwidth demand

Paul Nash paul at nashnetworks.ca
Wed Apr 3 14:07:27 UTC 2019

I am also surprised.  However, we have had a total of 5 complaints about network speed over a 3 year period.

One possible reason is that because they own the infrastructure collectively and pay for the bandwidth directly (I just manage everything for them), they are prepared to put up with the odd slowdown to avoid the expense of an upgrade.

Our original plan was to start with the 100M circuit so that they could make sure that everything would work, that we had reliable wifi delivery (about 95% of users only use a wifi connection to their computers/iDevices/whatever), and then to upgrade to 1G as soon as the dust started settling.  They have postponed the upgrade for 3 years now, with no complaints.

I guess that if they will be directly impacted by higher bandwidth costs, some people can make do with slower service (or something).

	paul