overages for power usage

Greg Elliott greg at nova8.com
Fri Sep 21 13:56:54 UTC 2018

If we saw a dc customer approaching their power limit we would typically
have a conversation or message them to make sure they were aware. If they
anticipated needing more sustained power we would update their agreement
accordingly.  Sometimes it would be a one-time occurrence so we would
typically let it slide.  If they needed additional power usually it was in
10 Amps per cabinet or 5-10kW increments if in a larger footprint (cage or
suite).  We typically did not punish our customers for overages because we
wanted them to continue to grow with us and we had the additional power
capacity available.  Some colo providers will put a premium on power
overages 5-50% (I have seen all over the board) in order to make additional
revenue on power spikes, make the customer more accountable to staying
within their power commit or maybe the power is limited at that dc or on
that floor.  Hope this helps. Feel free to call with additional questions -
816-213-7731.

Greg