overages for power usage

Lee Pallat lee at stratacore.com
Fri Sep 21 15:15:47 UTC 2018

We see lots of different approaches to this, depending on the datacenter operator:

  1.  Customer pays for power overage at an agreed to rate that is usually the same as their committed rate (but could be more). This could be based on a:
     *   Per KW consumed
     *   Per KWh consumed
     *   Per Amp consumed

  1.  Customer is notified that they are over their committed draw, and asked to increase their commitment. Could be:
     *   Immediately
     *   After a few months of repeated overages

  1.  Nothing happens (operator is not monitoring)