Massive Price Increase for X-conns at Telehouse Chelsea, NYC

Daniel Corbe dcorbe at hammerfiber.com
Mon Sep 17 15:30:37 UTC 2018

at 10:57 AM, Fredy Kuenzler <kuenzler at init7.net> wrote:

> Is anyone else affected by a massive price increase for x-conns by
> Telehouse Chelsea?
>
> When we moved in a few years ago they were asking 150$, it changed to
> 200$ and now we are asked to pay 260$. That's 73% more. I don't think
> inflation is that high in the United states.
>
> I get the impression that they feel comfortable enough to abuse their
> position. When we complained they simply said 'you may consider to
> cancel the contract'.
>
> Of course they don't provide any better service, in fact, the service
> quality is commonly indirectly proportional to the price at most 'big
> names'. #rant
>
> I suggest to anyone considering to buy colocation space in NYC (or
> elsewhere) not to choose Telehouse, unlike a few years ago.
>
> --
> Fredy Kuenzler
> Init7 (Switzerland) Ltd.

$300 MRC for a once-off cross connect isn’t unreasonable.   There’s costs
and labor involved in running that cable through a riser.  Especially if
you want it in innerduct.

I’m not sure what Telehouse’s policies are because I’m not a customer, but
some companies (TelX comes to mind) you can order them in bulk at a
significant discount.   Even with the extra labor involved in splicing it
to a panel, running a 12 or 24 count cable into a cabinet is a much easier
pill to swallow than having a guy up on a ladder or under a floor every
time you want to turn up a customer.

Then there’s always off-market options too.   You don’t need to be in New
York to have decent connectivity to the New York metro region.   There’s a
few places in Jersey that offer free cross connects in their meet-me rooms
because they’re so desperate to have carriers move into their
facilities.    I don’t think many of them have connectivity to major
peering fabrics, though.