Whois vs GDPR, latest news

Rob McEwen rob at invaluement.com
Sat May 26 22:13:38 UTC 2018

On 5/26/2018 3:36 PM, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ via NANOG wrote:
> Talking from the experience because the previous laws in Spain, LOPD and LSSI

Jordi,

LOPD/LSSI does not = GDPR

But even if there was a probability that GDPR would operate like they do: (1) it is alarming that the fines mentioned on GDPR are 10-20X higher than even LOPD/LSSI's higher fines -AND- regarding LOPD/LSSI's relatively low minimum fine of 600 EUROs that you mentioned - it was explicated mentioned on the page you referenced - HOWEVER there is NOT any similar official (relatively) low-cost fines mentioned for GDPR anywhere.... there is only that NOT-reassuring "up to" phrase.

For someone hit with a GDPR fine, I don't think telling them, "JORDI PALET MARTINEZ claimed that the fine will be more reasonable for a smaller business that had a less egregious offense" - is going to necessarily make it so.

Believe me, I WANT you to be my GDPR fairy. I really really do. But I have to operate my business more realistically.

--
Rob McEwen
https://www.invaluement.com