Whois vs GDPR, latest news

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Sat May 26 19:36:48 UTC 2018

Talking from the experience because the previous laws in Spain, LOPD and LSSI (which basically was the same across the different EU countries).

They had "maximum" fines (it was 600.000 Euros). They start for small law infringement with 600 euros, 1.500 euros, unless is something very severe, then it come to something like 30.000 euros, etc.

If you keep repeating the law infringement, then the 2nd time it may become 150.000 Euros.

If it is massive infringement (for example massive spam), then it comes to 300.000 or even 600.000 euros.

Here there is an explanation for the LOPD fines, is in Spanish, but a translator should work:
http://www.cuidatusdatos.com/infracciones/

My guess is that the GDPR maximum fines are there just as maximum, and there will be agreements among the EU DPAs, to better define how much is the fine, in a similar way they are doing now.

Regards,
Jordi