Proof of ownership; when someone demands you remove a prefix

Jim Mercer jim at reptiles.org
Mon Mar 12 20:35:28 UTC 2018

i have been the requestor of such actions before, and i generally sent the
take-down request with a referral to the ARIN entry with the netblock, which
shows the appropriate contacts.

i always sent the request from the account listed as ADMIN contact for
the netblock or OrgID.

in the request i noted that ARIN is the ultimate arbitor of who "owns" a block,
and as such you can validate my request for takedown by contacting me through
the details listed on their site. (i then provide the arin.net link).

anyone receiving such a request, who validated it through the ARIN data, should
probably act on it.

if the request is coming from anyone other than the ARIN ADMIN contact, the
response should be "we only accept such requests from parties what we can
authenticate through ARIN".

if the renter, et al, have not updated the ARIN data, then, that is their
problem, not yours, as you would have done your due diligence.

if they are not authorized by ARIN to speak on behalf of the block, i would be
very cautious about proceeding.

if they are unable to get the request sent on behalf of the ARIN ADMINs, then,
also, i would be very cautious about proceeding.

(i suspect that all of this could also apply to RIPE/etc/etc, but i have not
had to do so).

--jim

--
Jim Mercer     Reptilian Research      jim at reptiles.org    +1 416 410-5633

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of
arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather
to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up,
totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"
 -- Hunter S. Thompson