Proof of ownership; when someone demands you remove a prefix

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Mon Mar 12 20:18:48 UTC 2018

On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 3:46 PM, Sean Pedersen
<spedersen.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> I was just curious what others have experienced. Since so much of the Internet is "best effort" in terms of validation, I wasn't sure if there was much else that could be done.

Hi Sean,

The best practice is to go for the status quo while you figure it out.
How long have you been announcing the prefix? If only briefly, stop.
If you've been announcing it for a long time, keep doing so.

The RIR is the arbiter of who controls the address space. That's the
purpose of a registry. Reach out to the published POC by email, by
phone and if necessary by postal mail. Until you get a response to the
query YOU initiated to the POC, stick with the status quo.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

William Herrin ................ herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us
Dirtside Systems ......... Web: <http://www.dirtside.com/>