ICANN GDPR lawsuit

McBride, Mack C-Mack.McBride at charter.com
Mon Jun 4 20:10:03 UTC 2018

Peering DB is also a directory service.
The only 'service' they provide is to distribute contact information.
Therefor maintaining and distributing information is in fact 'essential'.
Further, Peering DB make it easy to remove contact information.
The difference in legal systems makes Peering DB a very low risk in the EU.

Whois is more 'at risk' because it doesn't require individual information to maintain a net block.
BUT, most whois can be handled by role accounts and privacy guard services.
Best practice is to use role accounts.
Privacy guard deals with the now rare condition where a net block is owned by an individual.
Most domain name services have provided a privacy guard option for years.

Most network providers simply want an email address that works.
I don't really care if it is joe or the purple people eater as long as it gets
a response from an intelligent entity that can fix a routing issue.
For this purpose a level 1 tech capable of escalating an issue counts as
an intelligent entity.

Mack