Proving Gig Speed

Eric Kuhnke eric.kuhnke at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 15:29:15 UTC 2018

Mark already knows this, but for the benefit of the North American network
operators on the list, **where** in Africa makes a huge difference. Certain
submarine cables reach certain coastal cities at very different transport
prices, depending on location, what sort of organizational structure of
cable it is, age of cable, etc.

For example Sierra Leone and Liberia are logically network stubs, suburbs
of London, UK. To the best of my knowledge the ISPs and mobile network
operators there greatly prefer buying transport capacity to reach London
rather than the other direction to Accra and Lagos. I do not know of any SL
or LR ISPs which have small POPs with IP edge routers in Accra or Lagos,
and definitely not in Cape Town. Whatever circuits exist for voice traffic
that go to Lagos are much smaller.