(perhaps off topic, but) Microwave Towers

Michael Crapse michael at wi-fiber.io
Mon Jul 16 16:56:31 UTC 2018

Microwave radios are the things that break the mold of the incorrect
assumption that just because it doesn't make sense to put up more wires to
a house you can't have more than one provider. Considering that we've
deployed a few wireless systems with less latency, jitter, and downtime
than the local incumbent DOCSIS provider. In fact the greatest benefit to
wireless microwave systems is the fact that they do not need to follow the
right of way. Where wireline and fiberoptics must go through more hubs to
get from side of town to the other, wireless is a point to point system
with latencies+jitter sub 400 microseconds.

No matter how great the incumbent fiber/dsl/coaxial network becomes, there
will always be new microwave links going up. For their biggest strengths
there's no replacement.
Now, their weaknesses may be many, and may be apparent, their stengths just
outweigh those.