End of 2017 hurricane season

Jean-Francois Mezei jfmezei_nanog at vaxination.ca
Tue Jan 23 07:33:15 UTC 2018

On 2017-11-30 22:34, Sean Donelan wrote:

> The #(provider name)sucks tweets on twitter in South Florida and South
> Texas have essentially stopped. I assume this means that providers
> have repaired almost all Hurricane Harvey and Hurricane Irma damage.

Sorry for delay in this old topic.

In early december, I bicycled the florida keys.

Some of the old railway bridges have been rehabilitated and turned into
bike paths.

One of these, Toms Harbor Cut Bridge, between Duck Key and Conch key
(between Marathon and Isla Morada)
(24.7833 -80.9057)

There was an AT&T fibre optic cable clearly temporarily  hung from the
concrete railing through the bike bridge, and then hung in free air for
some distance before going underground.

This was in an area with much damage.

picture:
http://www.vaxination.ca/temp/virb0095.jpg
(and yes, bike was leaning against the cable :-(

So just because service has been restored from the point of view of
remote network managers does not mean that the reconstruction is
complete. You may find much temporary setups.

When one side of the road has been partly washed out by the ocean,
chances are that underground cables were damaged if they were on that side.

To put things in perspective:

In an area that is evacuated, such as the Keys, it takes time before a
resident that had been assumed evacuated never returns and is then
switched to "missing" (at which point his/her/their home has already
been bulldozed and debris moved to side of road for pickup). This means
specialized workers to comb through debris to look for human remains.
This is long after the media has left. (and yes, I saw that in the
Keys). Initial reports of loss of life are totally meaningless.

Meanwhile Key West was mostly spared and most of the sunken boats had
already been removed. So the average tourist wouldn't really see what
Irma did there. It was business as usual with cruise ships etc.  The
major damage was in the middle keys where media never put much attention.